Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Welcome Home




I have always wanted to create quilts that reflect my travels, so I decided to start with Africa.  This quilt was inspired by the slave house on Goree Island in Senegal, Africa.  Below is a photograph that I took of the “doorway of no return” which opened to shark infested waters where African captives were loaded into the bottom of ships headed to the New World.  After my group entered the house, the curator bolted the door and said “Welcome home my brothers and sisters”.  There I was standing in the slave house - full circle. 





I wanted to build the quilt like the walls of the house, so I cut the blocks (bricks) free hand and layered them as if I were building a wall.  It was a challenge not to use a ruler, and I was surprised how straight some of the blocks came out.  I cut and sewed for three days with only a photo and my instincts for guidance.  The back side of the fabric was used on some of the blocks to add texture and I incorporated small pieces of fabrics that I had purchased at the marketplace in Senegal.  Each block is hand quilted with natural perle cotton which lends to the old, primitive look and gives the quilt a softer hand.  It tooks many days and nights to quilt and my sore fingers were worth it.  It is well made and utilitarian – to be wrapped around me to keep me warm and remind me of home.





My quilting experience started with my elders making quilts by hand from used cloth and they passed the craft on to me.  I lost interest, but returned when I saw the Gees Bend quilts.  I feel honored to continue this tradition and pay it forward.  I have visited many countries and I always managed to find handcrafting and textiles (go figure!).  When I left Africa, all of the others in our group had suitcases filled with artwork, trinkets, and custom made clothing.  Mine were filled with fabric!

My next project is what I saw in Rio de Janiero during carnival! 

No comments:

Post a Comment