Monday, February 27, 2012

Color Magic

I love color - the bolder the better!  This a one of my earlier quilts made with Westminster scraps and a hodge podge of solids.  It is a free form log cabin design inspired by the Gees Bend quilters.  This kind of color really inspires me and I actually lost track of time when I put this top together.  I made the top in one day (and night) because I couldn't sleep until it was "done".  It took about a week to hand quilt.    





I had a similar experience when I saw this fabric line.  It is Malka Dubrawksy's line "A Stitch in Dye" through Moda.  I had planned to order a fat quarter kit containing every print in the line, but by the time I got around to placing an order it was sold out (I blinked and it was gone)!  I really wanted to see this line, so I scrambled around online and located charm packs.  I ordered two and when they arrived I opened the package and gasped!  This fabric is unbelievable.  I immediately opened the package and lined up all of the squares on my design wall (forgot to take photos).  Wow - color magic!

At the time I was working on two other projects but I couldn't focus with all of this color going on behind me on the wall.  Since there wasn't enough fabric to do anything intricate, I put this simple pattern together.  Four-patched the 5" squares and the center stripes were made from the remaining squares cut into strips and mixed with solid scraps.  I made this quilt top in one day.  I just couldn't stop until it was "done".  The black background and sashing expanded it to approximately 70"x 60 and the backing is bright yellow.  Originally I hand quilted it with black perle cotton but halfway through I changed my mind and ripped it all out.  All it needed was light channel machine quilting.  I like it!






This line is organic and global.  It reminds me of Africa, India, Morocco, Greece - everywhere!  Who dyes and creates fabric like this?  Malka D you are a color genius!  Hopefully more stock will come in so that I can purchase some of my favorites.  This line is definitely stash worthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment