Tuesday, April 2, 2013

JONI MITCHELL AND MXPX

One of the most frequent custom order requests I get is for Tshirt quilts.  I have seen them online but never really considered making one.  A wonderful family stopped by my Crafted booth one weekend and I couldn't say no.  The daughter had a collection of tshirts from a punk rock group called MXPX.  Had no clue who they were, but the shirts were really cool.  She wanted a black quilt, mom and dad wanted color.  She wanted a grey back, mom and dad wanted color.  I love black, grey and color.  I also love a challenge.

So - I googled MXPX and listened to some of their music for inspiration.  Good stuff.  Pulled out the bag of tshirts and got started:



Here is the compromise:




See the slivers of color inserted into the seams (that's for you mom and dad!).


I think it turned out pretty cool.  My favorite tshirt is the one that says "vegans taste like chicken" - cracks me up!  What's even funnier (to me) is that the daughter is a vegetarian - lol.   Had one tshirt leftover, so I place it on the back (ignore the piece of thread).  It's a queen size and I quilted it on my home machine.  Used black thread in an all over stipple which stabilized the stretchiness of the tshirts.




While working on this quilt, I remembered that I had an old tshirt that I couldn't toss out.  It was from a Joni Mitchell concert that I attended in 1983.  I am such a Joni Mitchell dork - I love her!  Anyway, I carefully cut it up and played.  Here is the finished product:






I will post it for sale in the next couple of days in my new Etsy store.  

No comments:

Post a Comment