Friday, September 23, 2011

Hexies




My favorite blog these days is Material Obsession.  It is creative, insightful and filled with wonderment and joy.  The quilts created by Kathy and the ladies are remarkable - so colorful and beautiful.  Lately they have been working with hexies.  I have seen them in old quilts, and some of the ladies in my guild work on them - but never anything as wild and colorful as theirs.

Inspired, I decided to experiment so I made my own templates from plastic and printer paper.  I've made hundreds of hexies from old fat quarters and scraps - some I even fussy cut.  Then I stitch them together instinctively, without any plan on what to do with them.  Here are a few.  I have 3 sizes going - I'm lovin' the big ole Amy Butler one in the middle! 

Still have no idea what to do with them.  See those grey ones on the bottom?  Thought a light grey background would balance the color, so I came up with the bright idea to make grey connectors.  Maybe use different shades of grey in the connectors.  Bad idea... so these 2 guys will probably get wrapped in color.  I'll sort it out.

Lately I've been working on a quilt for a challenge which is mostly solid greys and browns.  I'm a girl who loves color, so I make hexies in between to satisfy my color cravings.  I'm addicted to these things and sometimes I'm up 'til 2 in the morning wrapping and hand stitching.  I get this deja vu and for whatever reason it relaxes me.

I'm binding my challenge quilt today, so this weekend I get to play with hexies - yipee!

No comments:

Post a Comment