Wednesday, September 7, 2011

This is my first post and oddly, I'm a little nervous...

This quilt of Frida Kahlo is called "Adelante de su tiempo".  That translates to "ahead of her time".  My sister suggested  I name it in spanish, so I did.  My sis has a lot of good ideas, and I try to follow them as much as I possible. 


The quilt is made from a dress that I purchased in Cancun quite a few years ago.  It was a really cool sundress but it got buried after the trip and I when I found it years later, there was a little hole on her face.  I couldn't throw it out, so I cut her face out and appliqued it to a piece of Kona cotton.  Then I cut the petals from some Kaffe jellyroll strips (which I always keep on hand!) and appliqued a flower over the hole.  Added two more flowers and cut strips into 21/2 squares and pieced them around the edges.  I hand quilted it with perle cotton and it looks great!

No comments:

Post a Comment