Wednesday, September 21, 2011


I love this mini quilt which is now hanging in my studio.  It was my first attempt at making a Lone Star.  It was supposed to be the center medallion of a larger quilt, but the diamonds started to pucker badly.  After ripping stitches out over and over again, I gave up.  I started to toss it and start over (I don't throw anything out, so I was pretty frustrated) but didn't - I spent way too many hours cutting and sewing this puppy!

I machine quilted it, outlining the diamonds and echo stitching the outside of the star.  The more I quilted, the more attached I became to this little guy.  The quilting flattened out some of the puckering and covered up a lot of the holes made from ripping out so many seams. 

The prints are all Westminster and the grey is Kona Ash.  I learned that with diamonds, you must cut accurately and mark all points before sewing - no eyeballing...  Lone Stars are one of my favorite blocks and I will tackle another one... some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment